Tuesday, August 28, 2007

no more vick

I can't bite my tongue any longer. I've been trying to avoid the whole Vick debacle, waiting to see what came of it. It's a testament of the sad state of professional sports.
Here is a guy making millions of dollars, worshipped by fans, and feared by his peers who is so fuckin' stupid that he throws it all away. I try not to use expletives like that, but that is the purest description in this case. A classic case of "you can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy" (ala Allen Iverson).
I suppose a guy with that much talent and money may actually think he is invincible (he certainly looks that way on the field), and can sidestep any repercussions like he does linebackers. The fact is, his popularity actually heightens public scrutiny, and he should have realized that. Or his "people" should have realized that.
I don't really have any pity for him. Even if he does jail time, he is still a millionaire. Even if the Falcons recoup some of the signing bonus, he's still a millionaire. No, whatever the punishment, he will never have to work again if he so chooses. Hell if he did, all he'd need to do is write a book. I have no pity, and in fact am stunned at the stupidity!
Some folks have tried to put a racial spin on the situation. I think the only racial element is the fact that so many young poor blacks grow up fatherless. And worse than not having a father in the house is the fact that more times than not there is no financial support from the man either.
Life is hard, then you die. Mike Vick's life should have been getting a whole lot better. I think about 140 million times better. But he kept hanging around criminals and psychos he actually thought were friends. I'm glad he was caught only that it might set an example to other aspiring young athletes that the way you lead your life is important. Especially as the public scrutiny and admiration begin to grow.
I could go on and on, but I've said enough. I don't think the charges are all that extreme in the grand scheme of things. Cruel and inhumane treatment of animals is not on par with rape, murder, extortion and the likes. It's bad, but it's more emotional to some than others. In this case it almost seems like it was a surrogate for activities that could have been much worse. And that worries me. Mike Vick will pay a huge price for very bad judgment, and I think that is punishment enough. The Atlanta Falcons will actually be penalized the most, for withot Vick they are dismall. In that regard, I say Vick is a traitor. He is a traitor to his employer, his teammates, his fans and anyone else who were counting on him to perform, who he promised he would perform. He put his own selfish desires in front of everything else. He'll have to live with that for a long time.
Later

No comments: