Thursday, May 01, 2008

Not So Fast!

Just when everyone were getting their bikes out of storage and looking forward to some great riding, Old Man Winter says “not so fast there bucko!” On Friday and Saturday (April 25-26) it snowed about 16 inches around here and pretty much paralyzed the city for about 36 hours. It was the third highest accumulation in one twenty four hour period in Anchorage’s history. Needless to say, I was disgusted!

The city and most private contractors had their snow equipment put away for the year, resulting in a much slower than usual reaction in clearing the streets.

Almost as quickly as it came, it went away. Sunday and Monday the temps reached almost fifty and melted the snow rather quickly. The streets are wet right now, but by this weekend they should be dry and clear. I’m only theorizing.

The Ak Wild arena football team from Anchorage is now 4 and 2 for the season thus far. Their defense has been strong and their offense adequate in only their second season in existence. Their two losses were on the road, and they are striving for an undefeated home record this season. That may be difficult, since the undefeated Louisiana Swashbucklers are next on the home schedule. They will provide a true measure of how much this Wild team has improved from one year ago.

Finally, I’ve been doing a lot of research about the Yamaha FJR 1300 verses the Kawasaki Concourse 14, both considered sport touring motorcycles. As you all know, I currently ride a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. I love the bike, but being strictly a heavy cruiser its not ideal for long distance riding, which is what I’m interested in pursuing. I must admit and be honest, the factory financing options from Yamaha have me leaning towards the FJR. At the same time, I can’t ignore the 14’s 156 horsepower and the keyless ignition.

Both have great luggage capacity and tremendous power to weight ratios, and both have adjustable windshields. The Kaw has a better factory warrantee, although an extended warrantee is available for either.

I’m gonna go look at the 14 in person this weekend. I’ve always been more of a Yamaha guy, but in this case I’m trying to remain objective in making a decision. I’ve narrowed it to those two bikes, or sit tight with my V-Star, you won’t see me on a Triumph, BMW, or Aprilla. Those bike are just too butt ugly. I mean hey, you gotta like the looks of your bike to fully enjoy it, right?

Alright, break is over, back to work for now.

Later

No comments: