Monday, September 29, 2008

Cool Ride, But Kinda Short

Well, I don't have a lot to report from my Saturday ride. I woke up with a kink in my back that I just couldn't smooth out. My back had been bothering me for a couple of days, and I never mentioned it because I thought a few ibuprofens would smooth it out for the ride.
I took off at about 11:00 am and the temp was barely 40 degrees. I was dressed properly and the only part of me that got cold was my chin and neck, which I forgot to cover. My fingers and toes were getting cool, but not bad enough to slow me down.
As I negotiated the corners along the inlet south of town, it occurred to me that some of these corners had not yet been exposed to the morning sun. I was ever vigilant that there might be some slick spots in these still shaded segments of the road. Luckily, the pavement for the first ten miles or so is fresh blacktop that DOT had resurfaced just weeks ago.
I pulled into the chevron at the Girdwood exit and refueled. That was a nice stop to warm up a bit, and by the time I was back on the highway, the sun had noticeably warmed up five or six more degrees.
Continuing south towards the Whittier turn off, I couldn't help but grimace from the pain in my lower back. It just wasn't going away. I did note how much nicer my riding position was after the relocation of my stock pegs, but I was hurting.
I turned off the highway towards the Whittier tunnel and started debating to myself if I should continue or turn back. I cruised the six miles or so up to the Cultural Center and slowly pulled through the parking lot. Not too many people up here this time of year. Just a few motorhomes and some bicycle riders.
I parked, got off the Star and tried to stand straight up. That's it, I better turn back. There's no way I'm gonna make it to Seward today.
That parking lot is about 55 miles from my house, so my total ride was only about 110 miles. I'm a little disappointed in myself, but a bad back is a bad back.
As I'm writing this my back still freakin' hurts. If it doesn't improve by tomorrow, I'm gonna have to break down and see a professional. Hey, maybe a Goldwing would solve my problem!
Later

No comments: