Saturday, December 13, 2008

What's That Smoke?

I fired up the Star a couple nights ago since I hadn't run it for a few weeks. I just like to fire it up every 3 or 4 weeks, bring it up to operating temperature, then close the petcock and run the carburetors dry.
This way I don't need to fully winterize it, you know, battery tender, fog the cylinders, etc... Plus, its just fun have a couple cold ones and a Cohiba while its running. Then after it cools, I park it back in its corner of the garage and cover it.
This time, however, I noticed some smoke coming from the front cylinder. What the heck?!
Upon closer inspection, it sees to be coming from where the exhaust pipe bolts to the head. Its not really a thick smoke, more like heat and the smell of oil.
I suspect I didn't seat the donut properly between the head and the pipe on a previous project.
Well, I didn't feel like tearing into it then, so I made a mental note of it, and next time I'll have to check it out. I've got a bunch of traveling to do over the next few weeks. so it will have to wait until '09.
On another note, I think I may have my neighbor talked into buying an ATV. If he does, then I will. It would be fun to go wheelin' out in the woods.
Well that's it for now, Later.

No comments: