Friday, May 22, 2009

Seward Trip

Last Saturday I rode my FJR from Anchorage to Seward and back. The weather was sunny and warm (about 58), and the road conditions were great. Not too much traffic (tourist season just starting), and dry pavement.
I saw two moose along the way. The first was grazing just 50 yards off the highway. The second (about 5 miles further) was just a carcass. Someone had struck it the day before(I'm judging). A not so subtle reminder that they are a hazard, especially on a bike.
Once I arrived in Seward, I looked up a buddy I haven't seen in over a year. We walked down to a local pub and watched the Preakness race on their TV.
Of course we had a couple drinks, so after the race we walked around town for about an hour. Then we found a restaurant and ordered lunch.
After an hour walk and a big lunch, i suffered no effects from two well drinks. It was now time to ride home.
Of course the FJR performed flawlessly, and I darned near made it there and back on one tank of gas. I did the division and discovered I got about 46 mpg for that trip. Not bad considering I traveled at about 70 mph the whole way.
I'd kinda like to make a run tomorrow, but they are calling for rain. We'll see how it shakes out.
Later

No comments: